Announcing Our Voices VII
An Annual Celebration of Boston Area Women Playwrights
March 17, 2013 Noon-10 p.m.
Ruth Nagel Jones Theatre, Wellesley College
*Note: The date & venue are new!
Dear Boston Area Women Playwrights ~
Our Voices is an annual festival of Boston area women playwrights, now in its 7th year. This day-long event, culminating in an evening of staged readings of pre-selected plays, will take place on a Sunday, March 17, 2013 at the Ruth Nagel Jones Theatre, Wellesley College (where it began!) from 12:00-10:00 p.m. (The deadline for short play submissions is February 6, 2013 (see below for guidelines.)
The Our Voices Festival is free and open to the public, thanks to the generosity of our past hosts and supporters: The Wellesley College Ruth Nagel Jones Theatre, Turtle Lane Playhouse, Newton, Regis College Fine Arts Center Black Box, Weston, The Cleaver Company, Inc. and Image Theatre of Lowell. Over the past seven years, Our Voices has presented the work of nearly 100 Boston area women playwrights.
Our Voices aims to nourish women playwrights by providing a supportive, inspirational environment for developing our unique voices and sharing our vision by presenting plays in process with talented actors and directors in front of an audience. What began as an evening of staged readings became a day-long event three years ago. This year, Our Voices also includes an afternoon workshop – Playback Writing for Playwrights - for all participating playwrights to engage their creativity, get to know each other on a deeper level, and explore the creative process. An audience reception in the lobby of the theatre will be held after the workshop, just prior to the presentation of staged readings, encouraging a warm, inviting atmosphere of inspirational theatre.
Our Voices & SWAN Day Partner Up! This year, Our Voices will partner with another annual festival for women writers, SWAN Day, a the Boston Playwrights Theatre, 949 Comm. Ave., Boston, on Saturday, March 16, at 2:00 p.m. PLAYWRIGHTS MUST SUBMIT SEPARATELY to these festivals. We’ll coordinate submissions to involve the maximum number of playwrights and won’t select the same piece for both. All SWAN Day writers are invited to participate in the Our Voices workshop, reception and evening of readings. To Submit to SWAN Day, e-mail email@example.com
Our Voices VII will be co-produced this year by festival founder, Kelly DuMar and playwright Hortense Gerardo, with the generous help of the Wellesley College Ruth Nagel Jones Theatre.
Submission Guidelines for Boston area Women Playwrights
For Staged Readings, March 17, 2013, 7:00 p.m., Ruth Nagel Jones Theatre, Wellesley College.
Please read and follow these guidelines carefully!
- E-mail submissions only of short plays, scenes or monologues, 10 minutes or less – sorry, nothing longer can be considered, and playwrights should submit only the selected portion if the piece is from a longer work. We hope to include as many playwrights as possible. Limit, two submissions per playwright.
- Selected playwrights must be willing to participate in the afternoon workshop as well as tech rehearsal, reception & evening of readings
- Include your contact info, title of your piece, and development history (if any).
- No published scripts.
- Selected playwrights will be responsible for arranging for a director & actor(s) & any prior rehearsals
- No set items, minimal tech requirements; lights up, lights down. We’ll have a designated volunteer to read any and all stage directions.
- Content is open
- There is no budget at all to pay playwrights, actors or directors! This is an all volunteer festival with a spirit of building networking and community support.
- Deadline: Please send in MS word or pdf to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than midnight, February 6, 2013. Selected playwrights will be notified by February 16, 2013 and a required production meeting will soon follow.
Or visit: www.diarydoor.typepad.com/our_voices